RE: Help - my consultants cannot write!

Subject: RE: Help - my consultants cannot write!
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 17:24:10 -0400

Andrew Plato complained," Help - my consultants cannot write!....
I am in desperate need of tech writer training for my consultants. I have a
bunch of information security consultants who cannot write. Its infuriating.
I edit their material and I want to wring their necks.
They blather and yammer on about this and that - I need to teach these
people how to succinctly express complex ideas and write reports....Ideally,
I'd like some program or class or something I could send my consultants
through that at the end of it, they would be able to write...better. My
problem is, I don't want to send them to some community college writing
class. I need something that specifically is focused on complex report
writing.....I call upon the great TECHWR-L for ideas, guidance, and
insight."
Andrew:
My solution would to create standard forms for the types of reports your
consultants have to complete.
For instance, if they answer a phone call from a customer, they fill in the
blanks (online or on paper) on a phone call report, with sections for new
customer info, and information about what kind of security system the person
or company wants or needs, or old customer info for existing customers, and
information about the problem or upgrade the customer reports or requests.
Set it up so that all the standard questions are listed on the form, and
your people can check yes or no checkboxes for as many as possible,, with
generous space to write in the customer's problem descriptions or questions,
etc. Have a similar form (on a tablet if your folks are going that way or
pre-printed) that they take with them for any onsite calls. For a new
installation, they can just fill in information about doors, windows, and
whatever other types of hardware and/or software is required. If you create
good forms, you'll get the information you need in a standardized,
simple-to-review format, and not have to read rambling half-assed reports.
It'll also make it very easy to train new consultants.

I can't send attachments to the list, but I'll send you a sample of the type
of form I'm describing.

Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

http://www.doctohelp.com