Re: Modern vs Old-fashioned Help

Subject: Re: Modern vs Old-fashioned Help
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:42:32 -0700

I don't think users know or care whether the three-pane UI is
generated by frames or something else. If you think your help looks
dated, you probably don't need to do anything other than revise the
CSS and maybe update some icons and other little UI graphics.

Adobe, MadCap, and other tools vendors have put a lot of effort into
new formats, "rich" media, and so on, but that doesn't mean those
features add value to every help system, or even most.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 1:33 AM, Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca> wrote:
> Systems need to be more elegant to represent tri pane help in a single
> browser window. This system would need to be able to interpret a URL
> to show the correct subnavigation when users send URLs to individual
> topics.

Huh? That's how it's always been. The "Webhelp" output formats
generated by WebWorks, RoboHelp, MIF2Go, and Flare have always used a
single browser window. They all support context-sensitive help via
URLs to specific topics.

http://www.doctohelp.com