Re: Can this career be saved?

Subject: Re: Can this career be saved?
From: Lisa G Wright <lisawright -at- mail -dot- utexas -dot- edu>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:57:38 -0500

You don't /have /to have a particular qualification to apply (and you can always learn new technical skills). This tidbit was recently posted by a friend of mine:

"Sage advice from a friend in UT Career Services: Women will look at a job posting, see they only have 85% of the required skills and then won't apply. Men will look at a job posting, see they have 15% of the required skills, and apply. Don't sell yourself short."

My current boss, who consistently makes good hires, puts it this way: If someone applying for a job has 10/10 of the qualifications, they're already looking for the next job. We're looking for someone with 5-8 of the 10 who can grow into the job.

In other words: Apply for the jobs. Don't eliminate yourself for them. You never know. If they posted it as a TW job but they want development skills, they could be looking at a pool of candidates who have one or the other but not both. They could decide to split the position. They could do a lot of things, but you'll never have a chance at the opportunity if you don't put yourself in the game.

Lisa

On 6/6/2011 4:53 PM, beelia wrote:

Becca

Programming skills are a specialty, most tech writing jobs in my area do not
require them. But if an employer specifies something like JavaScript, you're
quite right, you'd need that to apply.
There's only one tech writer job listed for SE Michigan, and that's calling
for web development skills too, and DreamWeaver - I used a very early
version of DW, but that was pre-CSS. They also want JavaScript, which lets
me out; I'm not a programmer. Broadening the description of what I'm
looking for, they all want programming abilities in addition to tech
documentation. Is this common?

http://www.doctohelp.com