Re: Writing English for Translation

Subject: Re: Writing English for Translation
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Roberta Hennessey" <rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 07:45:47 -0700

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Roberta Hennessey
<rahennessey -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

I am presently writing documents that will eventually be translated. Can
anyone point me to any reference
material they may use when writing for translation? I am thinking Style
Guide, etc. I want to make sure the
words I use can be more easily translated.

A few of my favorite books are:

* English as a Global Language, David Crystal - http://www.amazon.com/English-Global-Language-David-Crystal/dp/0521530326/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308062454&sr=8-1

* The Global English Style Guide, John Kohl - http://www.amazon.com/Global-English-Style-Guide-Documentation/dp/1599946572/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308062428&sr=8-1

* The Elements of International English Style, Edmond H. Weiss - http://www.amazon.com/Elements-International-English-Style-Correspondence/dp/076561572X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308062428&sr=8-2

These of course can't simply substitute for the points Bill made about developing your own guide, advice concerning graphics and word play, etc. But they are valuable references and do discuss many considerations. (That is, they're not simply lists of "do this, not that.")

HTH,
-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com