Associatively speaking

Subject: Associatively speaking
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 16:00:49 -0400

If two things exist and they are already associated in some way, do you say that they are associated one TO the other, or one WITH the other? (I tend toward "with")

If one thing exists, and a new thing comes along, and some specific action is needed in order to create an association, do you say that a person must associate the one TO the other, or associate the one WITH the other? ( I tend toward "to")

I (ha ha...) associate the "with" with a connotation of a pre-existing relationship and "to" with and action that forges a new relationship. But I might be alone in all the world on that.

What say, O learned ones?

- kevin

<bumpf-start>

or disclosing it.