Re: Small-Scale Document Mgmt

Subject: Re: Small-Scale Document Mgmt
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 08:48:44 -0700

Allow me to restate the original criteria, as I know it today:

- We have numerous scientific PDFs that need to have abstracts and some
sort of an easily-searchable index. The PDFs currently reside on a single
shared fileserver, along with everything else.

- These documents need to have the capability of being accessed remotely.

- The repository needs to be secure, even if this only means 1) placing
permissions within each PDF file and 2) using Windows security at the master
folder level to protect the entire fuile structure hierarchy.

- We are a small company with extremely limited resources and little in
the way of scalable IT infrastructure. (Near as I can tell, we're limping
along with one server and our newly-minted IT director is singing the blues
about lack of disk space.)

- This is a Windows-only shop.

Thanks

http://www.doctohelp.com