Is anyone involved in training? Ever used Moodle?

Subject: Is anyone involved in training? Ever used Moodle?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:43:59 +0300

I know that techwriters often become involved in many other areas of corporate communications. Some may have products that require specific training for users; others may even offer or consider offering certifications of one sort or another. Still others might have internal requirements to make sure that your own company employees have some basic level of knowledge about products, tools, technologies, or whatnot.

Ever used Moodle? Moodle is an open source LMS (learning management system) designed to support various kinds of coursework through the Web.

From what I've seen so far, it appears to be a very flexible and
powerful remote learning platform. I can see how it could be incorporated in many scenarios to reduce the cost of training while also being potentially more effective than many on-site training methods for some kinds of materials. http://moodle.org/about/

For example, large corporations often have specific orientation requirements. If they work with classified material, there is a need for ongoing training in requirements for how information is handled. I'm sure with little thought you can realize many other opportunities that would work quite well with this kind of tool.

During my more active techwriting years, on several occasions I was called on to re-write training coursework. I'd have been very pleased to have had a tool like this available then, but unfortunately I did not.

David

http://www.doctohelp.com