RE: Wimping out or going with current needs?

Subject: RE: Wimping out or going with current needs?
From: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <M -dot- Vina-Baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com>
To: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:49:38 -0500

Leonard,

Thank you for your comments. A question though. Since you were already
using FrameMaker, did you consider using Structured FrameMaker at all?

Michelle Viña-Baltsas
Senior Technical Writer

"Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
02/25/2011 07:10 PM

'Michelle Vina-Baltsas' <M -dot- Vina-Baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com>,
cc

Subject
RE: Wimping out or going with current needs?

We've recently switch from Frame to a structured, single sourcing approach
using Flare. A few weeks ago, we had to abridge some documents for
translation. Some of these had already been ported into Flare, and some
were still in Frame. Using Flare, it took me about three hours to apply
conditions to the existing files, create a new TOC and target, and publish
a PDF of the new guide. My co-worker, who is more versed in Frame than I
am in Flare and who is also was much more familiar with the content,
needed two days in Frame to accomplish the same end on a book of a similar
scope.