Re: need advice - writing wiki Help for web app

Subject: Re: need advice - writing wiki Help for web app
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:55:30 -0500

I always believed the universal "don't use screen shots" rule was rather
short-sighted. I typically built help with full and partial screen shots
in dynamic dropdowns so if a user knew where they were they could just go
to the info they needed, if they needed to figure out if they're in the
right place, they could click and expand to see the screen shot, then click
to close it again.

YMMV, but if you have a user base of widely varying skill sets, do your
analysis first!

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney