Re: converting EarthLink email (to EML or PST) ?

Subject: Re: converting EarthLink email (to EML or PST) ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 06:40:24 -0800

Oops; long rambling message talking out the frustration of the situation.
Feel free to delete now :-).

Very interesting that Outlook has abandoned the giant PST file on the Mac!
I wonder where all the meetings, reminders, outlook settings, etc. are now
stored?

And yes, I saw the ABC Amber thing, and it certainly looks promising.
However, it doesn't seem to really exist. I clicked and clicked and could
not find a working download link. And the site does not have any contact
info that I could find. So I abandoned that hope.

I have been thinking long and hard about whether to go to Outlook (PST) or
almost any other email client (which mostly use EML format). I use Outlook
for my business email, and so having both accounts (business and this
earthlink one, which I use for all my tech writing-related things and
semi-work-professional-things that are not related to paying client work,
but are not strictly personal accounts that I use to communicate with
friends and family) share a single client is appealing: only one email
program needed to be open.

But using EML format would provide a lot of flexibility in terms of which
programs I could use, which is rather appealing after dealing with
Earthlink's proprietary/inflexible format.

So the best answer would be if I could find a download of ABC Amber
EarthLink Converter, but that doesn't seem forthcoming. So I've taken a
different path: I'm being more insistent with EarthLink support than I've
ever been and *demanding* that they keep escalating my issue to a higher
level of tech support. They're not happy, but neither am I. It's hard to
believe that they've gotten away with their answer of "there's no way to do
this" for so many years. Their email is in an MDB (Microsoft Access
database) file, so clearly there's a way to get it out. And so soon I'll
take the effort to install Access on my PC and figure it out for myself.
It can't be impossible. But in the meantime, I'm making a giant pest of
myself to Earthlink in the hopes that they actually will send this logical
request to a real engineer, not a "tech support" person, who seem to be
completely untechnical!

And this is really strange that they won't provide an answer -- it's not
that it would take people away from using their product. They don't even
offer a current generation email client any more -- they tell you to use
Windows Live. So they've just decided that they don't care to support the
very people who have been paying them the longest -- those of us with years
of Earthlink email on our systems.

Well, rambling on waay too long; just musing and talking out the
frustrations of this thing.

Thanks for the leads,
-Monique

http://www.doctohelp.com