Re: State of the Technical Writing Field

Subject: Re: State of the Technical Writing Field
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:46:04 -0500

I was thinking more along the lines of automated publishing, authoring
in a structured environment, using taxonomies to manage stored
information, yadda yadda yadda. Back in the early to mid 90's, when
Help Authoring tools were starting to arrive on the scene and a
significant amount of complex print layout was still being handled
manually, the idea of DITA and other such technologies really was
shared by but a small fraction of people world-wide. In fact, it
wasn't until the unveiling of a specification for XML in the mid-late
90's that people really started thinking about content management
greater than a single-purpose document. SGML had its following but
even that was highly document-centric.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood