ErgoTools for Tech Writers

Subject: ErgoTools for Tech Writers
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:05:56 -0600

In August, Kevin McL. reported on a sit/stand desktop solution that he had
purchased called the Kangaroo (see link to his post below).

Since then, I have occasionally been cruising the 'tubes, trying to see what
was available for stationary desktops. I have a built-in desk in an office, so a
table that raises/lowers was not an option. I have looked at the Kangaroo,
articulating arms that would hold dual monitors (ka-ching!), and trying to find
a less expensive alternative to the Kangaroo.

A few weeks ago I came across ErgoTron's Workfit sit-stand workstation:

http://www.ergotron.com/WorkFit/tabid/640/language/en-US/default.aspx

They make models that hold a keyboard and single monitor, KB/dual
monitors, or KB/one monitor/laptop. I purchased the dual monitor unit (and
also req'd a single monitor/lap top unit for a co-worker).

It came on Monday. I got impatient on Tuesday waiting on maintenance, so I
set out on my own to assemble it. There were basically four steps -- it took
longer to clean the dust bunnies from my desktop than it did to the put stand
together :)

Anyway, I stood a good portion of yesterday (and could tell it -- GEEZ my
legs were tired by the time I got home!). My plan is to stand a few hours, sit
an hour, stand a few... The idea is to MOVE -- not just stand all day or sit all
day (either of which is not necessarily good for you).

So far, I love it. It is very stable, raises and lowers easily, but doesn't "jiggle"
around or get progressively lower as I type. The keyboard height and
monitor height are on the same base so they raise/lower at the same time,
but then the monitors are on an additional sliding track so they can be
raised/lowered independently of the keyboard (I have found I want the
monitors at different height relative to the keyboard when I stand and when I
sit). It's all on a tension-adjusted pulley system (so, not hydraulic), that you
can tweak based on the weight of your equipment. The keyboard extends
beyond the desktop and will drop below desktop level (like a keyboard tray).

The Ergotron is a bit cheaper than the Kangaroo ($385 from buy.com + free
shipping) and looks like it probably takes up a little less desktop real estate.
For anyone who is considering a sit/stand workstation, you may want to
check it out.

Regards,

Dana W.

Kevin's original post
http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/1008/techwhirl-1008-00109.html

Dana Worley
Software Product Manager/Manager, Software Support Group
Campbell Scientific, Inc.
Microsoft MVP, Windows Help

www.jestersbaubles.com

http://www.doctohelp.com