Re: Two Professional Questions

Subject: Re: Two Professional Questions
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:21:52 -0700

That was my interpretation as well. Either the company is intrigued by
Bobbi's FM experience and would like to know whether FM would be an
improvement over what they have now, or (hopefully not) Bobbi has managed to
annoy them with comments about how much "better" FM is as a tool and they're
giving her a chance to put up or you-know-what by providing a detailed
FM-vs-Word comparison.

I've done single-sourcing with FM and I hated it. I doubt that I'd like
trying to do it in Word any better. If it's a genuine future step, my
preference would be to move to a native XML tool. Single-sourcing is a
significant mindset adjustment compared to traditional authoring, and trying
to hang on to old, familiar tool environments just bogs down the learning
process. At least it did for me.

Gene Kim-Eng

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Combs, Richard
<richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com>wrote:

> So, to recap, here's the situation as I understand it: The company has been
> using Word. Bobbi has come in as a contract technical writer, and she's
> experienced with FM, but has never used Word for such a project.
>
> Why would you say the issue isn't Word vs. FM? Other than your enthusiasm
> for ID, that is. :-)
>
> The issue is Word vs. FM because one is a comfortable fit for the company
> (no change required) and the other is a comfortable fit for their writer (no
> learning curve or stumbling blocks).

http://www.doctohelp.com

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/