RE: automating PDF settings for Word-sourced docs ?

Subject: RE: automating PDF settings for Word-sourced docs ?
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:37:42 -0500

I'm pretty sure you're not grasping what Monique's asking for. In Acrobat
8, choose the *View>>Navigation Panels>>Pages* menu item to display the
page thumbnails. Note that each page has a number below it. In a document
that has page numbers (for example) i-iv for the front matter (and they'll
print that way if you have page numbering in your header or footer),
Acrobat considers those pages 1-4 in the Acrobat document. Choose
*Options>>Number Pages* with the *Options* drop-down list box on the
*Pages* pane, to change how *Acrobat* displays page numbers in the Acrobat
navigation. This is one of those little-known features that not many PDF
developers use but it eliminates some confusion because now both the
printed document and the Acrobat navigation use the same numbering.

On Tue, July 27, 2010 1:46 pm, Al Geist wrote:
> Hi Monique,
>
> I no longer have 2003/2007 on my systems, and Word 2010 won't create PDFs
> using any flavor of Acrobat (something I discovered AFTER I converted to
> Word 2010). I'm using Acrobat 8 Standard and won't upgrade until they
> prove
> Acrobat 10,000 works with Word 2010.
>
> I've never had that problem (which probably means I'm lucky). You're
> saying
> that the page numbers display properly when viewing the document in Print
> Layout view, but everything goes kerflukata when you try to create a PDF
> using PDFMaker.

<snip>

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/