RE: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler

Subject: RE: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:35:35 +0000 (UTC)

[Continuing to respond to specific questions and correcting misstatements of fact. I'm still very interested in the original "Ernest and Scribbler" comparisons--I've seen what people have said on that subject. Keep 'em comin'!--sfj]

Jason A. Czekalski wrote, in part: "I have had to do plenty of hand-holding for "certified" PMs. They have the cet, and the big paycheck, but I or someone else has to do their job for them. I have had the same experience with Certified Quality Engineers when I worked in Quality... It is going to be used to control access to the profession. [T]his is about monoplization, not quality improvement."

Does certification guarantee anything? No, not for any certification. Are you claiming that therefore one should avoid any certified professional in favor of an uncertified professional?

As for the second point, you are wrong. Monopoly control is not legal in the United States. The Board is aware of both that factr and its legal obligations. Sheesh...!

Mike Starr wrote, "Not sure I grok how certification via an evaluative approach against the BOK can take place until the BOK is complete and released into the wild. I thought certification was going live shortly (or for that matter has already gone live)."

Certification has not gone live yet, and won't for some time to come. We will evaluate against stated areas of practice. In time, we want to move towards examination when the BoK is fleshed out enough to permit it, but the BoK isn't there yet and won't be for some time to come (longer still).

Finally, I want to thank Kevin McLaughlin for posting some thoughtful ideas here on how the program should operate. They will go into the hopper, I promise!

ÂÂÂÂÂÂ-- Steve

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/