Re: Plan Your Dream Department Tools

Subject: Re: Plan Your Dream Department Tools
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:54:58 -0500

I'd second that. You need to ask some questions that are far more basic to
your functioning that whether you need the latest version of Framemaker.

How many staffers in the department? What are their skill levels? Do they
have specialties? What are the company plans for new product development
or legacy product retirement? How will that affect your resources (budget
and personnel) next year and in five years? What are release cycles for the
products?

What kind of users are you delivering information to? Are they shift
workers with GED's or post-grad analysts at a desk all day? Will they
learn faster, more thoroughly etc., if they have simulations, ginormous
manuals, or application tooltips? Are they buying the product themselves,
or being told to use it for their jobs? Are they computer proficient, or do
they ask what a mouse is?

The tools I needed for telecom data center / application support are very
different than the ones I needed for back office trading systems
administrators, which were different than the ones I needed to build KB
articles for call center agents. I need to know the business, the customer
decision-makers and the users before I can begin to suggest what forms the
user support should take, and then what tools are suited to producing those
forms.

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney