Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler

Subject: Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Faith Wallis <faithwallis -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:05:29 -0400

So how has the lack of a PMP next to your name hurt you? How much
worse do you think it'd be if you didn't have a CTC (or whatever
letters they decide to use) next to your name? My guess is, if you
made it this far, you'll likely be OK, but who knows. My crystal ball
could use some Windex.

Of course you have to pay to play. The application process from start
to finish is labor intensive. And what value would it be if anyone
could apply for free for this? How well do you think the applicants
would be scrutinized if there was a flood of applications due to a
free price tag?

Money's certainly a factor in what you get and what you don't. I don't
see why it's any more issue here than it is with anything else. And I
understand the ROI angle as well. I don't expect anyone to see the ROI
in certification at this point because it's still being fleshed out.
The STC Board approved moving forward from the concept phase only 2
1/2 months ago. This is why I'm not sold on it yet, but not dismissing
yet either.

It's been a long hard battle to formulate even a concept that shows to
have true merit potential. What was it, 20 or so years? Longer? That
it's taken that long to get a plausible enough of a concept in front
of and approved by the Board (yes, it'd been denied many times prior)
says something about how seriously people are looking at this. It's
not a sudden impromptu decision where STC said, "Hey, you know what
would be cool? If we became a certifying body for technical
communication! Oh, and buddy, don't bogart that spliff..."

I invite everyone to take a look at the proposal, to take a look at
the back story and such that I recently posted links to, and take it
all in before weighing in. There are some good ideas in there. Yes, it
needs to be fleshed out. But that's where the conversation's starting
from.

Bill

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/