RE: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler

Subject: RE: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Wade Courtney <wade -dot- courtney -at- gmail -dot- com>, Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:28:43 -0400

Wade Courtney wrote:

> Well, so far whether or not I am a good technical writer has been the
> subjective opinion of someone else. As with many other
> certifications, just
> because a person has one, doesn't mean they are any good.
> There are a number
> of doctors, lawyers, mechanics, and various other careers that have
> certifications, yet there are many of those same people who I
> wouldn't let
> touch me or my car.
>
> We could do what law enforcement does. Along with the skills
> part of being a
> tech writer (writing, tool knowledge, English knowledge)
> maybe we should
> include a psychological evaluation in front of a panel of experts to
> determine if we have the personality to be tech writers.

Perhaps TWs should have live-fire exercises and top-/c/o/p/-scribe
competitions.

You get dinged for each "bad guy" that you miss, and for
each innocent bystander that you hit.

In the elimination round, two (or more) TWs are tossed into
the maze from different directions, each dressed such that
the other(s) recognize her/him as "bad guy". Live rounds
are used, of course.

The competitions would take place every three years, and
the outcome (who won, who lost) would influence the traits
that were tested and valued in the certification testing.

Sure, there are flaws in that model, but would it be any
less effective or entertaining than the model whereby
sit-down tests are devised and administered by bureau'rats
driven by politicians?

- Kevin

(Hands up, anybody who believes a certification program
would NOT become controlled by people whose primary
leanings and strengths and motivations are political.)

or disclosing it.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/