RE: Make [up] work (was RE: Unsubstantiated and/or falseallegations(was RE: Nobody reviewed the manuals)

Subject: RE: Make [up] work (was RE: Unsubstantiated and/or falseallegations(was RE: Nobody reviewed the manuals)
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, Darren J CTR USAF AFMC 584 CBSS/GBHDBButler <Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:45:14 -0700 (PDT)

Darren, your theory is founded in reality, but it has the problem that it assumes the higher-ups are actually in touch with the thoughts and feelings of the lower level workers.  They can actually scale rumor-squashing efforts only if they know what the rumors are.  All too often, the higher-ups don't know the rumors going around because they are completely out of touch with the workers.  And most of the time, that's the reason why the rumors get started to begin with.

Right now you're just factoring in the strength of the rumor and the strength of the counteraction.  I suggest you modify your formula to this:

X times Y times Z  = T

X   strength of rumor 1-10 (10 being strongest)Y  1-10 strength of rumor control effortsZ   1-10 likelihood management is in contact with reality (1 being la-la land)
T   probability of rumor being true

Examples:

X of 9 times Y of 2 times Z of 5
T of 90 (eh, start on next item on calendar)

X of 9 times Y of 7 times Z of  4
T of 252 (start watching if boss is having lots of offsite meetings)

X of 9 times Y of 8 times Z of 7

T of 504 (start mailing resumes)

You are dead on about the CYA.  That usually accounts for about 75% of the reason why managers in any government entity do anything.

From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>

> But being in the same line of work that I am, you must

> be plenty accustomed to taking even flimsier source

> material than that (Marketing Requirements Documents,

> Engineering Statements of Work, Test Plans, Feature

> Summaries....... Code    Freeze   Dates .....) and

> stringing them into far more elaborate confections

> called Customer Documentation.   Yes?

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,

manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose

authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -

   - Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -

---

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- robins -dot- af -dot- mil -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/darren.butler.ctr%40r
obins.af.mil

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
   - Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/klhra%40yahoo.com