RE: InDesign versus FrameMaker (versus Word)

Subject: RE: InDesign versus FrameMaker (versus Word)
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:03:28 -0400

Dan Goldstein noted:

> The caveat regarding "multiple authors" is a big clue here. A
> contractor
> might *think* s/he's the sole author for a deliverable -- but if the
> customer wants to revise it in the future, then the contractor's only
> one of multiple authors.
>
> With a PDF file, the tool and the deliverable can be separate
> entities;
> in that case, InDesign and FM are great. When the deliverable
> has to be
> editable in the future by the recipient, the contractor's
> probably stuck
> with a commonly known tool -- i.e., MS Office.

[...]

Or, as Gene implied, something like OpenOffice.org.

It's open-source AND does a very good job of handling
MS Word files (as well as other Office file types, though
sometimes not with as much aplomb as it does the Word stuff).

We're not goobermint, but here at my company, I
routinely use OOo now, and export/Save-as Word
format if some other employee really needs it.
Otherwise, it's OOo Writer to PDF.

I also get a lot of my source material in Word,
and if it can be re-used with just a bit of
editing, then I import it. Otherwise, I just
read the other document and rewrite in my words
(and tables, and graphics, and...) using OOo.

Of course, more than half of what I do is
WebHelp, created in Flare, but we were talking
about non-help stuff.

Before I got CS4 Design Standard, I was starting
to tinker with Scribus, but the learning curve for
InDesign is enough for now.

- Kevin

<bumpf-start> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
or disclosing it.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -