RE: Conditional content - what do you do with it?

Subject: RE: Conditional content - what do you do with it?
From: <laura_johnson -at- agilent -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 14:41:00 -0600

>I haven't yet decided if I might make an exception for
>product names.
>Once upon a time, that would have been a frequent thing
>to deal with, but I've been steadily replacing most
>occurrences of <some-product-name>/<some-other-product-name>
>with generic wording such as "your HSM" or "the HSM server",
>etc., as appropriate.

Flare variables are really excellent for the product name situation. You
can have a "productName" variable whose value changes
depending on the target, and the Flare dev env displays it as a default
value with a background color, which is a fairly
clean way to do it.

I use conditions quite a bit, and sometimes apply them at the word or
even character level, but when things start getting unreadable
I tend to duplicate the paragraph. Also, I do most of my
proofreading/validation by building a target and reading the built
version, though I'll have Flare open right next to it to make
corrections (and often end up making side-by-side comparisons of two
targets).

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -