Re: Need App Recommendation

Subject: Re: Need App Recommendation
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 10:01:29 +0800 (WST)

I agree with those who think Visio is more than adequate for this.

You could do some nice things, such as storing different types of information in different layers. For example, the basic floors-and-walls layout would be the bottom layer, the desks-and-partitions layer would overlay that, the teams-and-projects layer would overlay that, and so on. You might even have a layer for the infrastructure people to show phone s, workstation IDs, cables, and so on.

You could also generate a clickable diagram from the Visio source to go on the intranet--click a desk in the floor plan and it displays that person's name, title, project, contact details and photo. When I worked at IBM they had this and it's a real boon to new starters.

Stuart

On 2010-05-13 11:32 AM, Michelle Despres wrote:
> I have been asked to help with a project that requires making floor plans
> (office building) and seating charts. The person previously assigned to
> this work used AutoCAD. My company believes AutoCAD is overkill,
> and I have no experience with it.
>
> My company is open to recommendations for new software, but I do
> not have experience in this area. Do you have any recommendations?
> I know it's a stretch for a technical communicator, but perhaps you
> have colleagues who do similar work.

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -