Re: wikispaces.....

Subject: Re: wikispaces.....
From: Sean Diggins <diggo -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 17:22:27 +0800 (WST)

I can highly recommend Confluence. Pricewise it's a steal considering the power (compared to Sharepoint, for example). The support is very good and the product is mature, with permission capabilities suitable for enterprise use. Our users love the Office Connector, but they also like using wiki markup. Very easy once you know how.

Gotchas? Namespace issues associated with "spaces vs pages" affected my company when designing heirarchical taxonomies, but there are some excellent (free) workarounds.
Cant copy/paste or dragndrop pics directly into the built-in WYSIWYG editor, but our users mostly edit in Word. The users who prefer using markup are savvy enough to load the pics manually.

Confluence has excellent version managment and is very useful for managing documentation, particularly when using it with the AdHoc Workflows addon.

We run a "behind the firewall" instance, using MySQL as the database. I spent many months evaluating competing products before selecting Confluence. It was the right decision.

Atlassian also sells a Sharepoint connector for Confluence. This is mostly purchased by companies already using Sharepoint. Interestingly, a common problem affects companies using Sharepoint and then adding Confluence: the users almost immediately cease using Sharepoint. They prefer Confluence.

I'm currently working on ensuring our Confluence instance obeys some of the principles behind the 960 Grid ( http://960.gs/ ), including autoflow text columns. Since we only use Firefox within our company, we can take full advantage of the -moz-multi-column CSS attributes.

The Refined Wiki theme for Confluence seems nice:

www.refinedwiki.com

We've created a similar approach in-house using free addons.

Sean