Re: FrameMaker paths to imported images...

Subject: Re: FrameMaker paths to imported images...
From: cjcbrown -at- comcast -dot- net
To: monique semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 22:40:56 +0000 (UTC)

Monique I liked your background writeup. It made the issues easy to understand. :)

>> why does Frame remember the most recently used path for images

Because "last visited" is what some people want and remember how old Frame is - no updates on setting custom paths etc.

>>Is there a way to tell it not to do that

I haven't found one. Maybe someone else has, or an Adobe forum?

>> is there a way to make it look for relative paths (I always want it to use an images subdirectory under where the .fm files are)?

We do it this way. A little less cumbersome than the rename of images subdirectory, but not much:

The templates are designed with an images subdirectory called ArtCommon. Common images linked by reference, go in there.

Setting up a new doc, we make an images subdirectory under where the .fm files are, called Art.

And then we *copy* (shudder) the ArtCommon subdirectory from the Templates directory to the specific doc directory.Â

I think there might be something special and sticky about the Templates location and copying the common images cuts that stickiness.

Now we have a Doc directory that includes the .fm files, an Art subdirectory, and the ArtCommon subdirectory. When we open a new book the links-by-reference go to the right relative locations.

That's how we do it anyway. Also, some really small common images are imported, not by reference, but copied directlyÂinto reference pages. No one likes that much but no one hates it enough to change the templates.

Connie

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -