Re: If you had 15 minutes...

Subject: Re: If you had 15 minutes...
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>, "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:56:56 -0700

Perhaps it's just a personal failing of mine, but in all the years I've been
doing this I have never once succeeded in convincing a company or organization
that had no respect for technical writers or the job they do to change its
attitude. I was once asked by the CEO of a company I was interviewing with how
I might deal with such a situation, and my answer was that I would probably have
the conversation I was having with him with the CEO of my next company, because
corporate attitudes about the importance of any department or function were
always created from the top down (I got the job, btw).

If you're working in the right environment, making a case that something is
important enough to document will result in light bulbs going off in peoples'
heads and a request for tech writer support. If not, you may as well save your
energy and enthusiasm for the interview with your next employer.

Gene Kim-Eng