Re: Sharepoint as an LMS

Subject: Re: Sharepoint as an LMS
From: Rick Stone <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: Kevin McGowan <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:32:33 -0500

Hi Kevin

Interesting. Do you also work with Melinda Smith? Melinda is asking
about this identical issue over in the Captivate support forums.

I might suggest that because SharePointLMS.com exists, it is a good
indication that SharePoint does not work as an LMS on its own.

A LMS has several functions:

Database of user names and passwords

* Curriculums
* Courses
* Lessons
* Who is assigned to which course
* Whether the user passed or failed
* Probably much more than I've listed here.

LMS normally communicates via SCORM or AICC. I'm not sure SharePoint
would have the faintest clue about these protocols. From what I
understand, SharePoint is really just a file sharing platform. Probably
does a lot more than that, but I'd be surprised to learn that it may be
used as a LMS just out of the box with no add ins or whatever.

Cheers... Rick :)

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com