RE: Agile tech writing

Subject: RE: Agile tech writing
From: "Zuercher, Darrell" <dzuerche -at- tva -dot- gov>
To: "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:24:14 -0400

Patty,

I am a lone writer on an agile (Scrum) development team. We have been
agile for about two years. There are a few things that can help you
succeed in this environment, based on my experience. Your mileage may
vary.

1. Make sure that your documentation is included in your Product Backlog
Item estimates. Your Product Owner may not even consider an item "done"
unless it is also documented.

2. Each of the other tasks you perform (UI review, error message text
editing, instruction changes, etc.) are also included in the estimates,
and are itemized in the Sprint's deliverables.

3. Attend the daily Scrum meetings, or whatever status-reporting
conversations the team has, so that your tasks are visible to the rest
of the team. This includes any obstacles that are related to team-member
availability.

We typically have several simultaneous projects (We currently create and
support over around 175 different applications.) underway, so I am also
documenting multiple applications simultaneously. I have had the most
success when I am a vocal member of an application's team, submitting
suggestions to make application easier to use or more intuitive. I am
quick to offer suggestions for UI element placement, menu design, screen
usage, etc. when the team is discussing implementation options. I have
also acted as Scrum Master on several teams, including one which won a
departmental award for best team last year (600-person department).

Many view agile development as not requiring documentation. The truth
is, the documentation is required but is much more dynamic. From design,
through requirements, to the end user, there is documentation. Smaller
deliverables, less formal, but essential. I like the phrase, "barely
sufficient documentation". Write just enough so that the audience can
accomplish its work. As someone (I can't remember the source at the
moment) once said, "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Concerning your delivery schedule, one option might be to delay delivery
of the software by one Sprint, in order to complete the documentation.
Feature 1 is developed in Sprint 1. Feature 2 is developed in Sprint 2,
while Feature 1 is documented, and then released. Feature 3 is developed
in Sprint 3, while Feature 2 is documented, and then released. Just a
thought.

I hope this helps.

--Darrell