Re: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?

Subject: Re: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: Jon Leer <jleer -at- leertech -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:31:18 -0700 (PDT)

My previous employers were "real" hardware companies that made heavy construction equipment or designed and built cement manufacturing plants.

_Can_ some of the tech writing on those things be done elsewhere than at the office? Yes, but often -- too often -- access to in-person engineers and other subjectmatter experts as well as engineering plots and other source material is required. And you just don't know when you're going to need that access.

And if "John, the engineer" is simply avoiding phone calls, you're out of luck. Had you been onsite, you could meet up with him in the breakroom or just stop in to see him and even watch him avoid phone calls.

I recall when a former employer (factory equipment) back in 1990 or so brought in "voicemail" and we in tech pubs saw the success rate of getting info from the design engineers drop immediately because "they" were considered important and we simply weren't that high on the totem pole.

Plus, many companies either don't have or don't allow their tech writers to have online access to engineering data. My company is Asian and apparently, telecommuting is simply not known or not accepted there because the culture is very controlled. Like it or not, that's the way it is.

There's any number of reasons why telecommuting is not accepted, but the biggest one is that the company simply doesn't want it. Remember when your parents said you can't go to the movies, and you said why not and they said (or shouted), "BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!!"

Those things being said, all of your points are valid, but don't change things. I moved here from way up north for a good job offer (I was out of work and married at the time) and feared what would happen if I lost my job (with no extensive safety net of friends/family nearby). I did get cut from staff (the only tech writer in the 425-person company) after two years, but latched onto another company a mere two weeks later and was there for 12 years. And so on.

It's just the way bit is.

-- Kenpo