Re: Vendor tricks (was Which would you prefer and why? (Help Tool))

Subject: Re: Vendor tricks (was Which would you prefer and why? (Help Tool))
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:23:21 -0700 (PDT)

*** YOU SAID ***
Thanks for the info all. Here's the odd part (based on Gene's reply): it
took me forever just to find a page where there *was* a search box (only on
the FAQ page, as far as I can tell). And then, silly me, I had searched it
for "pricing" earlier and came up with nothing. "Price" never occurred to
me. And by then I'd put 10 minutes or so into the hunt and gave up.

The original point still holds: vendors are often reluctant to share pricing
without a struggle, and I suspect they lose sales because of it, but I'm not
sure how you'd be able to measure that. Anecdotes abound. :-)

We can argue web page design endlessly, but there's objective proof that they have tried to do the right thing. Whether the design was effective is another question. But the intent was there, so try to withhold the harsh judgment. To wit:

Browse to http://www.helpserver.eu/ -- You will get to the HelpServer page.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page until you see the heading:

HelpServer pricingFrom there, click the link, "View our price list". You'll see it as the first content under that heading. (BTW, the large font here is not my doing -- it's a copy/paste from their web page, although it's smaller in their CSS.) That takes you to their single-source price list, which is indeed in their overall product documentation, "hidden" in the overview.

Price was one of the first things I looked for, too. I wanted to see whether they charge for distribution -- in fact they do not. That was pretty much question number one for me once I saw what they do. In my case, it was answered very quickly.

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com