Re: DocBook and the Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

Subject: Re: DocBook and the Google Summer of Code (GSoC)
From: Janet Swisher <jmswisher -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Richard L Hamilton <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:38:42 -0500

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Richard L Hamilton <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net> wrote:
> If you are a software engineering or technical communication student or
> teacher, or if you know someone who is, this announcement may be of
> interest to you. If not, you can safely ignore it.
>
> The DocBook Project, a group of people who work with DocBook, has been
> accepted as a mentoring organization for the Google Summer of Code, a
> program sponsored by Google that provides summer internships for
> students to work on open source projects.
>
> Mentoring organizations provide ideas for projects, select proposals
> submitted by students, and mentor those students as they work on the
> projects. Students are paid for their work and the results are made
> available under open source licenses.
>
> Most of the GSoC projects are software projects looking for student
> programmers. However, the DocBook Project is also looking for student
> proposals for documentation projects related to DocBook.
>
> Here are some resources to check out if you are interested:
>
> - Google Summer of Code 2010 site: http://socghop.appspot.com/
> - GSoC DocBook page:
> http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/org/show/google/gsoc2010/docbook
> - The DocBook site for GSoC: http://docbook.xmlpress.net
>
> The period over which students can submit proposals runs from March 29
> through April 9.
>
> Feel free to distribute this as appropriate; the DocBook Project would
> like to get strong proposals both for programming and documentation
> projects.

Oh cool. I've always thought there should be a "Summer of Doc" as well
as a "Summer of Code", but never got off my duff to make it happen.
I'd love to be a mentor for a doc project, if you need one.

(There is a "Season of Usability": http://season.openusability.org/
How about a "Period of Doc" (pun intended)? )

--Janet

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com