Re: Acronym Question

Subject: Re: Acronym Question
From: punit shrivastava <punitshrivastava -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Chinell, David F (UTCFS)" <David -dot- Chinell -at- ge -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:13:51 +0530

What I have seen in my short career of 8 years with 4 different companies is
the popular method of using full in the heading. Defining comes later.

This appears user friendly too. In the heading, we are just letting the user
know what the chapter is all about. Why to confuse them by placing acronym,
or for that matter any extra word that can be avoided or explained later in
the content.

Cheers!!
Punit

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Chinell, David F (UTCFS) <
David -dot- Chinell -at- ge -dot- com> wrote:

> Heather:
>
> I'm with Donald on this. It's not going to stumble anyone if it's
> spelled out in full in the heading, and the heading is not the place to
> define it.
>
> I don't assume the heading content in the body text. The headings don't
> register the same as the body text. So I repeat rather than use
> articles. Extending this line of reasoning, I wouldn't rely on the
> heading to define the acronym. So there's really no need for it there.
>
> Bear
>
> Use Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word, or HTML and
> produce desktop, Web, or print deliverables. Just write (or import)
> and Doc-To-Help does the rest. Free trial: http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> Explore CAREER options and paths related to Technical Writing,
> learn to create SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS documents, and
> get tips on FUNCTIONAL SPECIFICATION best practices. Free at:
> http://www.ModernAnalyst.com <http://www.modernanalyst.com/>
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as punitshrivastava -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/punitshrivastava%40gmail.com

Punit S.

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com