Re: Address this. . .

Subject: Re: Address this. . .
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp128 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 13:51:33 -0700 (PDT)

Bill Swallow wrote:
> IMHO, release notes should focus on what IS in the release and not on
> what isn't.

Yabbut...
Among the things that ARE in the release are the known bugs. Call 'em what you will ("Known Anomalies," "Caveats," and "Issues" are among my favorites), but they're there. I'm in the camp of those who believe that you save yourself, your users, and your support staff a lot of grief by simply listing the bugs, along with brief descriptions and workarounds, if any. No promises that you'll ever look at them again (because sometimes you won't), just a simple statement of the facts.

IME, users say that they're more  interested in what doesn't work than in what got fixed in a release, just so they can avoid the known problems. In most places I've worked users want to see the open bugs list before the closed bugs list.

Just $0.02 more. Ultimately, the old "Golden Rule" applies: "Whoever has the gold makes the rules."

Marguerite

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com