RE: Graphics question

Subject: RE: Graphics question
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Spectrum Writing <info -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:42:57 +0200

Actually, if the resulting graphic "looks fine" in the printed output,
that will be in part a stroke of luck.

To resize the image from 2400 x 2400 to 3300 x 3300 means the software
had to interpolate--adding lines of data that were previously
non-existent in the original image. Fortunately for your project, that
often can work in logos--far better than it might in non-continuous
images such as photographs, for example.

Also, if the printed image is to be run at, say, 150 lpi, then you
probably didn't need to resize the image at all prior to cropping it.

Next, you should allow for paper trim in the image size calculation
when planning a full-page image. In other words, you should make the
image a bit larger than the page size, so that when the printer cuts
it down to size it will be seamlessly edge to edge. On a sheet-fed
press, you cannot print to the edge of the original page size--the
press has to have a bit of room for metal "fingers" to grap the sheet.
Thus, the paper is generally larger than the page size and is trimmed
to size later.

The same thing holds true with a lazer printer, by the way--generally,
if memory serves, the printable area is perhaps an eighth to a quarter
inch smaller on the sides than the page size.

There is a small possibility that the trim will not be completely
straight, too--which is why you print the image a little larger than
the finished size so there are no unsightly white edges--the
background color extends completely in all directions.

For use online, a 300 dpi image is completely overkill and makes the
file size unnecessarily large. For that version, I'd hold it to
something much smaller--90 dpi or so would seem ample, for example.

David

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com