Re: Need a word for...

Subject: Re: Need a word for...
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:44:47 -0800

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:36 AM, McLauchlan, Kevin <
Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

> What would be a good generic word for the sort of condition where something
> is being rapidly/frequently disconnected and keeps dutifully coming back for
> more punishment? I imagine there's a common english word that engineers
> have co-opted for such a situation - perhaps a two-word phrase at most.
> It's not quite at the tip of my tongue - or my typing fingers. Bugs me no
> end.

Why spend time discussing the problem? Focus instead on the benefits of a
clustered network that offers failover protection in the event the location
of one mirror is flakey. The Microsoft Encyclopedia of Networking has an
entire chapter dedicated to clustering, using terms like "stateful
clustering" - where minimal downtime is acceptable, "stateless clustering" -
which scales according to use to minimize downtime, and "dns retry
intervals" - which defines at what rate the DNS needs to check with the
master DNS record, but I don't know if it necessarily pertains to your
specific head banging session.

HTH!

-Tony

--