RE: website tech pubs, etc.

Subject: RE: website tech pubs, etc.
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>, Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:40:40 -0500

Keith Hood
[...]
> Apologies if you've already thought of this, but for videos,
> it seems to me that you should talk to the end users about
> what coverage they need. And, I think video presentations
> would be more useful for training in shop maintenance and
> management procedures, than for equipment use. Video
> instruction is most useful when the viewer can put his hands
> on the thing and follow along at the same time. A mechanic
> can set up a monitor next to a test bench and unbolt things
> on the real item as he sees it being done on the monitor. A
> manager can practice filling in the new form as a video shows
> him how. But a forklift driver would have to watch the video
> all the way through and then try to remember it when he goes
> into the motor pool and starts the machine. That time gap
> between seeing and doing makes video less useful in that venue.

I agree with literally "less" useful, but not with the implied
"not useful".

For those of us with a visual component to our learning style,
it can only help to have seen something once or twice before we
have to figure out how to do it ourselves. Similarly, as Ken
suggested, a clear video is a great adjunct to a book.

We know about different learning styles. We also know that
most people, while favoring one or another method of learning,
will make use of a mix of methods (auditory, visual,
tactile/kinesthetic). From the perspective of the learner,
it's almost always better to have the task or lesson
presented in a couple of different ways, so it soaks in
via different modes. Learning is reinforced.

As well, even if it was days earlier, it's almost always
helpful to have seen a task performed before the first time
we try to figure it out.

Now, the hard part. Just as drawings are sometimes clearer
than photographs, a video has to be really well organized
and really well-lit to be useful for instruction.
I think that one of the best things you can do for your
viewers is to make liberal use of .... bedsheets. :-)

OK, I mean, whenever possible, screen a cluttered background
from view, and drape non-essentials with something that de-emphasizes
them or takes them out of the picture entirely.

If you shine a light into (say) an engine compartment and then
take a video of somebody removing or attaching something,
the background can be visually confusing, especially since
your video is 2D-only. Covering non-essential areas and
having a softly reflective surface below the work area
can make the important parts of the engine stand out. The eye
has a better chance to follow what's important. It's not
always possible to have multiple active light sources in
a confined space, so making good use of reflection can
save the day.

A good instructional video is the exact opposite of a
good illusion. Rather than distracting and misdirecting
while the real work gets done, you want all attention
focused on the essential action and on the essential
physical relationship of important items.

A (made-up) example would be if a series of wires were
snaking about the compartment, in and out of view, some
portions intensely lighted, and others deeply shadowed,
and you wanted to show the full routing path of one or two
important ones, you could do worse than to tug a reflective
sheet of fabric in place behind the wires and above the block
and hoses and mounts and.... so that:

a) the wires-of-interest had a contrasty background and
b) so that something pale near the wire could reflect some
light onto portions that were shaded from the direct beam
of the video light.

I'd even do that while recording, "Dark in there, isn't it?
I'm going to insert this piece of fabric just to improve
visibility of this instruction - you don't need to do this;
it's just a teaching aid... and a handy grease rag after
we're done..."

One benefit of being paid to set this up is that you CAN
go through the exercise several times while you learn
what works, what needs tweaking, etc.

Anyway, this sounds like a great opportunity to be paid
to have fun... er, I mean to enjoy your work and your
OJT, as well as to add something nifty to the resumé.
Too bad our products aren't the kind that would benefit
from video instructions.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com/