Re: What do you do when you don't have anyone with the time to review andedit your docs

Subject: Re: What do you do when you don't have anyone with the time to review andedit your docs
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:27:13 -0800

It's not clear to me whether your issue is a copy/proof review. a tech review or
both, but here are a few things I have done for one or the other. Most of them
work best if done while docs are being worked on rather than after they've
reached the nearly-finished state, so they may not help in your current
situation.

1. Cultivate relationships with possible reviewers in QA and Marketing in
addition to the developers. Both groups have a vested interest in the docs
being accurate and reading well enough to prevent your company from appearing to
be run by a bunch of Neanderthals.

2. Repeatedly compare what you are writing or being given by the developers
with the actual product under development (could be tough if you're documenting
nuclear reactors or rocket launchers). If there are any inconsistencies, file
issue/bug reports against the product. Most companies that aren't run by a
bunch of Neanderthals require all the issue/bug reports to be resolved before
product release, which improves the odds that a flaw in either the product or
your docs will be identified.

3. If all else fails, a MS Word grammar/spell check is slightly better than no
proofing at all.

4. Plaster "Preliminary" or "Unverified" watermarks on the pages of the docs
you circulate for review to help ensure that someone doesn't just stuff the
latest review copy into the release package while you're still trying to verify
it.

5. Make sure someone with some corporate gravitas issues any command decisions
to release unverified documents, and if such a person doesn't do it in writing,
send out emails with lots of cc's warning that the docs haven't been reviewed.
This won't necessarily CYA, but it'll enable you to hold your head up high and
tell yourself that you did everything you could to prevent the disaster while
you're cleaning out your desk.

Gene Kim-Eng