Re: Accessing documentation when all the tools are from a single vendor

Subject: Re: Accessing documentation when all the tools are from a single vendor
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:19:08 -0800

This isn't any different than my painfully slow setup of Windows
Virtual Server to run a development IIS multi site web server on
Windows 2003. There were so many hooks into the root OS that
everything kept breaking. The VS itself ran slowly and took most of my
machine with it.

Finally I just went back to VirtualBox. Installed in less than an hour
without a hitch.

I got the word from the IT manager, who says, "While I don't agree
that MS is the _best_ technology, there's something to be said for
homogeneous systems all playing nicely."

This "homogeneous" system broke the web system permissions when our
marketing person copied the files I created into her own copy of the
web server. This "homogeneous" system. I've wasted more time
troubleshooting MS systems in the past 20 years than actually working.

I've got other stories, too, most notably between different patch
releases of Word 2007 breaking macro functions. I just can't believe
that business puts up with this behaviour.

Cheery new yeary,

-Tony (also renewed his STC membership, BTW... here's hoping for the best!)

--
Tony Chung: Creative Communications
Cell: +1-604-710-5164

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/