Structuring a project

Subject: Structuring a project
From: "Claudine Chausson" <claudine -dot- chausson -at- jwaretechnologies -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:49:06 +0100

Hi everyone

I have an issue with the structure of my project. I use DITA, Oxygen to edit
it, and ClearCase for version control. I output to pdf.

I?m writing the same manual for 2 different clients. Many topics are common,
some are specific and some are of a mixed type. I could use metadata to tag
the information and then use DITAVAL to include or exclude topics; it works
well. But how can I do if I need to create a manual for a new client and
then another new one, and so on?
I figured I could use different folders and follow a structure similar to
this:

ManualName
   Client1
      Client1 Images
      (list of files specific to Client1 + Client1 project + Client1
ditamap)
   Client2
      Client2 Images
      (list of files specific to Client2 + Client2 project + Client2
ditamap)
   Images
   (list of common files)

Is it feasible (and viable) to work like this? What about mixed type topics?
How can I manage those? With DITAVAL?

Any insight will be appreciated.

Claudine CHAUSSON
Technical writer
JWARE Technologies

Mail/to: claudine -dot- chausson -at- jwaretechnologies -dot- com
http://: www.jwaretechnologies.com

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/