RE: And since were on about snagit today, here's an easier way to tweet with snagit;

Subject: RE: And since were on about snagit today, here's an easier way to tweet with snagit;
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l-bounces+gps03=health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:36:18 -0500

wArticle.jhtml?articleID=221900336

In a rather retro vein, my wife is a sales rep for a "dying"
industry that refuses to die.

Paging.

As in, those little boxes you see clipped to many people's belts,
that AREN'T cellphones (or Netbooks using Skype...).

A _big_ selling point, for emergency workers, first-responders,
medical personnel, military, and all sorts of essential services
personnel - or, for their bosses and dispatchers - is that paging
alerts and text messages (for alpha-numeric pages -- yes, pagers
can have e-mail too) go out EN-MASSE, and essentially all at once.

You have, say, 1100 in your military quick-response unit, and
another 650 in the logistics squadron that preps their transport
and supplies, you can have all those pager numbers in a single
group that is activated by a single call or message to a single
phone number. You can make up the message on the fly, or it
can be pre-set. When Outer Frapistan blows up (or gets flushed by
that tsunami) and the bigwigs make the decision to send in the
team, half way 'round the world, both the team members and their
critical launch crew all get buzzed within minutes of that single call.

Contrast with the same number of people carrying cell-phones.
You'll be lucky if the last ones get the message hours later.
There's no automatic confirmation that they've heard the
voice message or read the text message.

Also, pager signals tend to punch through in places/situations
where cell calls don't. The handshake is much simpler and
quicker, so the chances of the connection being made are
higher. Cell systems don't even put the call through if the
connection parameters aren't good enough for "acceptable quality"
voice.

Lots of disaster situations in recent years saw important,
necessary people receiving "critical" and urgent cell messages
(voice or text) hours after the call was initiated.

Pagers get the message _now_ and keep beeping until they're
acknowledged.

Cellular system providers have been backfilling for years,
trying to get that robust capability into their systems,
and they still haven't got it.

Snazzy features and cute ring-tones mean little when the point
is to alert everybody _right-frick'n-now_ that the forest-fire
has changed direction and the wind has picked up.

- Kevin

.
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/