Re: Recommended web site programs

Subject: Re: Recommended web site programs
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:37:56 -0400

I've been using Dreamweaver since 2000 to create help systems that are
platform and browser independent with good results. Despite what Robert
says, I've always been impressed with DW's clean output. It takes a bit
getting used to, especially the templates and use of library code, but
once you get the hang of it, and don't have to invent new designs every
time, it allows you to be quite productive in a short amount of time.

As some of the other respondents have mentioned, using the right tool to
get good HTML is one part of the battle. Using CSS to get good layout
and design is another. Generally speaking, the more you do in CSS, the
less you do in DW, and the better off you are. CSS Zen Garden is a great
place to get an idea of what can be accomplished just with CSS.

The other new coming thing is dynamically building web pages from
content contained either in a database or other content repository. It's
more complicated, but potentially more useful for large companies and
projects. You can also look into Ajax, but that's getting a little far
afield.

There are free applications out there. Check this link for reviews of
the best freebie HTML editors:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-html-editor.htm

While I haven't used any of these, their other freebie reviews are
usually excellent.

My 2Â,

John Garison

PS - I prefer Aunt Pittipat's Porch to the Varsity ...

john -at- garisons -dot- com

802-875-5310 (o)
978-866-5225 (m)

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.