Re: Playing can you top that (was Re: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs)

Subject: Re: Playing can you top that (was Re: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Technical Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:31:52 -0700

In the early days of photorealistic 3D CAD renders, it usually took anywhere
from 5-8 hours to render a single high-resolution (about equivalent to today's
1080p HD) frame. My rendering computer (dual processor 486 with a "whopping"
256 Mb of RAM) was plugged into four redundant UPS units to guard against power
failure, and the advent of operating systems that could automatically hibernate
and resume rendering after shutdown was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Gene Kim-Eng