RE: Visio shape hide-and-seek

Subject: RE: Visio shape hide-and-seek
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:55:20 -0700

As to the "dozens displayed" (I can see how that comes up ambiguous), I
was trying to say:

Hey, if I go to File > Shapes I get a hierarchy of families of stencils.
If I see a shape in my drawing, and want to know where in that hierarchy
is THE stencil(?) it came from, how do I do it?

ANYway, I found a Word document containing a .vsd figure I need (as a
whole gestalt...a collection of shapes and lines). I copied that to the
clipboard, and did a (Visio) File > New > New Drawing, and pasted the
figure into it. Then I tried your File > Properties and consulted the
Contents tab, and found no Masters entry at all.....

By the way, is there some way (I tried to figure a way to ask online
"help" about this but never found the right query to use) to tell Visio
"I'm working in US units; whenever you give me a list of Shapes, PLEASE
limit it to US units, stop with the paired US Units / Metric Units
offerings in the menus.

Thanks,
Guy

On Thu, October 15, 2009 11:48 am, Dan Goldstein wrote:
> Now I get it. When you said, "what stencil set is this one (of the dozen
> displayed)," I thought you meant of the dozen displayed in the search
> results -- not the shapes displayed in the drawing.
>
> Anyway, AFAIK, once you pull a shape from its stencil, it's yours to
> modify. If you want, you can morph it up so bad that its own
> mother-stencil wouldn't recognize it. But it can't go home again.
>
> In some cases, when I open a drawing that was constructed using shapes
> from only a single stencil, that stencil is displayed in the Shapes
> pane. However, I'm not sure if this is because the drawing retains that
> information or because it was simply the last stencil that I opened.
> Either way, this doesn't help when a drawing uses shapes from more than
> one stencil.
>
> Wait, there's another possibility: With the drawing open, click
> File=>Properties, and then click the Contents tab. Is that list of
> "Masters" relevant to our quest?

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.