Re: Color and colorblindness

Subject: Re: Color and colorblindness
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:44:57 -0400

When I worked for Lucent, our style guide required (at least) two areas of
difference from body text (color and font difference, such as underline)
specifically to address colorblindness issues. That works well for links.
For warnings, you should incorporate a graphic or glyph that's larger than
the other text that will stand out regardless of the color (red usually
prints as black when it's converted to B&W).

For online (HTML) viewing, I'd go with a graphic, and have the alt text be
"Danger!" or "Warning!" so that screen readers will pick it up, too.

-Wendy