RE: What applications can edit HPJ files?

Subject: RE: What applications can edit HPJ files?
From: "Sarah Blake" <Sarah -dot- Blake -at- microfocus -dot- com>
To: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:06:49 +0100

> Collect the source files and produce HTML
> Help output or later, as WinHelp support is dwindling fast. The
> version of Word you are using doesn't matter with regard to the HPJ.

That's only true if I can find a non-RoboHelp way to open the project :)

Collecting the source files and producing HTML Help output or later is
what I'd like to do, but only if I can use a tool that will make use of
the WinHelp-specific formatting/structural information contained in the
RTFs will it be even remotely feasible in the time I have.

> As to your bigger problem, how did you end up with a version of
> RoboHelp that is incompatible with your version of Word?

Easy; all this documentation has been inherited from an acquisition.
The previous technical writer was using RH X5 with Word 2003, which was
fine, but when they brought me on board to replace her they gave me a
better laptop with, of course, the latest version of Word. (I don't
have access to her laptop because it's on a different continent).

In the long term we intend to convert all of the acquisition's
documentation into XML, but that ain't happening for this release!

Sarah Blake
Senior Technical Author

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.