Subject: Publishing/editing (for POD) advice sought

From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:49:08 +0300

Jim,

Those who have said to go by the directions of the POD publisher your
client selects are correct.

I have been doing a bit of research on the POD business. So far, I am
most impressed with Booklocker (http://www.booklocker.com). They seem
to be the most reasonable by far. Many of the others are quite
expensive once you consider upcharges for many services. For example,
quite a few charge extra for each illustration.

Booklocker also markets an ebook version, if you wish, with much more
favorable terms than the printed copies because of their lower
overhead. In addition, the author retains full rights--which is not
always the case with other POD publishers.

It is worth looking at their FAQ pages--and perhaps subscribing to
their weekly Writers' Weekly email newsletter. The FAQ is at
<http://publishing.booklocker.com/>

I have no connection with them, but am seriously considering
publishing a book I have in mind with them when the time comes. I do
subscribe to their newsletter, however, and have been impressed with
their insights.

HTH

David

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 09:00, <techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:
> From: "Technical Writing Plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
> To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:42:42 -0600
> Subject: Publishing/editing (for POD) advice sought
> Hello; I am a freelancer and I am editing and copyediting  a book for a
> technical writer. I need some advice about the screenshot illustrations. For
> example, the author will be using a P-O-D publisher-should the screenshots
> be linked to, embedded, or should they be included in another 'include
> file'? Thanks.
>
> PS This book is being prepared in OOo. It is not currently utilizing the
> Master Documents feature, but I might recommend that as well, as I learn
> about it. I understand that Master Documents can be a nightmare with MS Word
> but Master  Documents in Open Office are not as difficult or cumbersome.
>
> Also - and perhaps more listmembers would be able to opine on this: Number
> of screenshot illustrations. Would one screenshot every 350 words be about
> right? Thanks.
>
> Jim Jones chineseadjuster.webs.com Sr Member STC

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.