Re: Eclipse for doc releases?

Subject: Re: Eclipse for doc releases?
From: Anindita Basu <anindita -dot- basu -at- in -dot- ibm -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:04:14 +0530

<Peter Crimmin wrote> Looking for ideas and pointers.

Does anyone on the list use Eclipse to deliver documentation?

I'm not asking about documenting an Eclipse plug-in. I want to learn
about using Eclipse solely to provide documentation. I haven't (yet)
found a description of how this is done, but I assume it involves:

1. Packaging an Eclipse JRE for installation on the customer's machine.
2. Installing documentation as a plug-in.

Using this approach, I expect to install several plug-ins (from
different products that I release) into a single documentation system.

Thanks in advance. </Peter Crimmin wrote>

Yes, we use Eclipse to deliver our docs. Even for non-Eclipse products.
If your product is not based on Eclipse, you can distribute your docs in
the stand-alone mode (where your docs are packaged with your product and
get installed on the customer's machine) or through an infocenter (where
your Eclipse JRE is hosted on your server and available through the Web).
You can add as many plug-ins as you want to your infocenter - which means a
single infocenter can contain all the docs from the several products that
you release.

More about the process is here:
http://help.eclipse.org/ganymede/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help.htm

Is this the info that you were looking for?

Regards,
Anindita
Information Developer
Rational Software, India Software Lab
anindita -dot- basu -at- in -dot- ibm -dot- com
0091-80-41776780

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.