Re: Today's exercise in misunderstanding English

Subject: Re: Today's exercise in misunderstanding English
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:27:00 -0700

I would also argue that, like it or not, "updation" *is* an example of a
new word crashing the gate. And I'm having a tough time making a case
against it when we already have words like "ideation" and
"visualisation" (both words which I, btw, dislike and usually edit out
anytime I encounter them in document drafts) in the dictionary. We can
probably make an entire Friday exercise out of listing words ending in
"ation" that duplicate other words that are already perfectly usable
without the suffix.

Gene Kim-Eng