RE: [TOOLS] Save/Export GANTT from MS Project

Subject: RE: [TOOLS] Save/Export GANTT from MS Project
From: "Cindy" <cindy -at- workabledesign -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 08:39:30 -0700

If you have Acrobat, then print to pdf while the Gantt chart is in view. MS
Project lets you change settings to customize the legend that displays at
the bottom of the printed page.

Cindy Edwards
(916) 834-2442

Every day you learn something new is a good day!

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:52:22 -0400
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Subject: [TOOLS] Save/Export GANTT from MS Project
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>

Is anybody using MS Project, or maybe a project/program manager in your
company is using it, and knows how to export visual GANTT charts to a
publicly viewable format?

Managers here have MS Project for managing/scheduling their own groups,
but the important one for me is our Program Manager, who keeps a master
project plan that covers all the projects to which I contribute.

I have no need to use MS Project for myself. I just want to see the big
picture and have a visual depiction of where I am in that picture, where
the overlaps and resource conflicts occur (I'm the lone writer resource
for multiple products and projects, of course).

Currently, that Program Manager exports/saves to html the left-hand
couple of columns with the milestones and their dates, but as you can
imagine, this is text and numbers only, and is rather dry and (being the
planning for a dozen projects) runs off the bottom of the page. Not
conducive to seeing relationships at a glance.

I'm a visual kind of guy. The color-coded duration-mapping horizontal
bars of a GANTT chart are ideal for me to visually integrate what's
going on.

One solution is for me to beg my own MS Project license, but a thousand
bucks is a wee-tad-bit expensive for a viewer.I've got other places for
the company to spend money on me. That's third-best. Second best is some
kind of third-party viewer that can just accept an MS Project source
file and show me what I want to see in the form I want to see it.

Best would be that MS-Proj itself can just export the visuals in some
format (html? PDF? Word? Other?) that can be viewed in a browser or in a
reader that most people already have.

OpenOffice.org doesn't include a Project analog.

A suggested open-source replacement is free only for the single-project
version. I need to see a dozen projects at once.

Who's doing what in this area, and how's it been working for ya?

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com