Re: more on email strangeness

Subject: Re: more on email strangeness
From: Dossy Shiobara <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com>
To: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 09:40:53 -0400

On 3/28/09 3:04 AM, Jay Maechtlen wrote:
> When I 'reply' or 'reply all' to Mike's post (re Gene and the 2x4 of
> good sense) I see that Gene's text is gone, and only Mike's tresponse is
> there.
> I'll paste both below the part that Tbird put in, just for completeness.

Thunderbird, in attempts to encourage good netiquette, trims the quoted
reply text at the email signature, which is unofficially indicated by a
line starting with "-- " (two dashes and a whitespace).

See Mike's email:

> Last summer, I commissioned a local wood carver to make me an "Official Technical Writer's 2x4"... I tell people it's for recalcitrant programmers, engineers and other SMEs. Don't know if TSA'll let me have it in my carryon luggage if I have to make an urgent trip to the left coast to adjust your attitude, though<grin>.
>
> Mike
> -- Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services Technical Writer - Online
> Help Developer - Technical Illustrator Graphic Designer - Desktop
> Publisher - MS Office Expert (262) 694-1028 - mike -at- writestarr -dot- com -
> http://www.writestarr.com Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

This explains why your quoted reply text was truncated after the "Mike"
as the next line started the signature boundary with "-- ".

If you want to circumvent this otherwise really, really desirable
behavior of Thunderbird, I think you can select the text of the message
you want to quote and /then/ perform your reply or reply all, and it
will use the selected text as the quote, regardless of email signature
separator, etc.

--
Dossy Shiobara | dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com | http://dossy.org/
Panoptic Computer Network | http://panoptic.com/