Re: George Hayhoe, a rant, and a resignation

Subject: Re: George Hayhoe, a rant, and a resignation
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:05:36 -0700 (PDT)

The STC has two periodicals: Technical Communication Journal and Intercom.
The former tends to be more research-oriented and academic, while the
latter focuses more on the practical.

I see Techwr-L as more like Intercom. I believe Dr. Hailey expected it to
be more like the Journal.

Perhaps the concept of "register" is the issue in this discussion. [The
applicable American Heritage Dictionary entry says: "9. A variety of
language used in a specific social setting: speaking in an informal
register; writing in a scientific register."]

IMHO, Dr. Hailey was addressing the term "grammar" in an academic register
and may have expected the conversation to proceed in that register, but
others in the discussion were operating in a more informal register.

--Guy K. Haas
Software Exegete in Silicon Valley

http://www.doctohelp.com